Dramatic alpine scenery - Doubtful Sound - Kiwi on Stewart Island - Wild west coast
1. Arrive Christchurch, remainder of day free
2. Collect car and drive to Otago Peninsula via the Moeraki Boulders
3.In-Depth Peninsula Experience
4. Drive to the Southern Catlins
6. Drive to Invercargill for flight to Stewart Island
7. Guided nature & bird watching on Stewart & Ulva Island
8. Fly to Invercargill then drive to Te Anau
9. Drive to Manapouri to commence Doubtful Sound overnight cruise
10. Return to Manapouri then drive to Queenstown
11. Day of leisure
12. Drive via the Crown Ranges to Lake Moeraki on the west coast
13. Guided excursions from the lodge
14. Drive north via Fox Glacier and Franz Josef to Hokitiki
15. Visit the Punakaiki before crossing the Southern Alps back to Christchurch
This suggested itinerary is just an example of possibilities available for trips to New Zealand. Price is dependant on season, standard of accommodation and length of stay. Please contact us for a tailor made itinerary.
Daily to your requirements.
Explore the South Island of New Zealand in-depth with our 15 day self-drive.
From Christchurch your route takes you southwards to the Otago Peninsula renowned for its abundant marine life. Encounters with penguins and albatross are the norm here, your expert guides know the best viewing spots and will ensure you have the best possible experience. From here continue south through the little-known Catlins, wild, rugged and untouched this is true New Zealand wilderness and a region which deserves your time.
Next spot is New Zealand's third largest island - Stewart Island, home to native birdlife, ancient forests and unspoilt beaches, together with neighbouring Ulva Island this is paradise for bird lovers and you should be lucky enough to see the kiwi in its natural habitat.
Back on the mainland your route follows the Southern Scenic Route to Te Anau, home to Lake Te Anau but also your jump off point for the exceptional Doubtful Sound overnight cruise. The phrase 'Sound of Silence' is often referred to and you will soon see why. Expect rich flora and fauna, many different bird species, bottlenose dolphins and depending on the time of year Fiordland crested penguins.
After a few days in Queenstown start heading north again, this time up the wild West Coast via the Te Wahi Pounamu World Heritage Area and the gold mining heritage of Hokitika. Your journey comes to an end as you traverse the Southern Alps back to Christchurch.