Explore ancient & unspoilt landscapes - Rare native birdlife - Diversity of North & South Islands
1. Arrive Auckland and refresh.
2. Half day Waitakere Ranges excursion.
3. Drive to Coromandel. Miranda Shorebird Centre.
4. Guided nature experience.
5. Drive to Rotorua. Mokoia Island excursion.
6. A day at leisure.
7. Drive to Mt Ruapehu via Lake Taupo.
8. One day Tongariro Alpine Crossing.
9. Drive to the Kapiti Coast.
10. Full day Kapiti Island experience.
11. Drive to Wellington then fly to Nelson.
12. A day at leisure.
13. Drive to Blenheim via the Marlborough Sounds.
14. Drive to Kaikoura.
15. Water based pelagic excursion.
16. Drive to Christchurch. Fly to Stewart Island via Invercargill.
17. Ulva Island guided experience. Kiwi spotting tour at dusk.
18. Guided experiences in the Rakiura National Park.
19. Return flight to Invercargill. Drive to Queenstown.
20. A day at leisure.
21. Fly from Queenstown to Auckland for international flight.
22. Arrive UK.
This suggested itinerary is just an example of possibilities available for trips to New Zealand. Price is dependant on season, standard of accommodation and length of stay. Please contact us for a tailor made itinerary.
Year round. Best time to travel is October to April.
For the perfect exploration of New Zealand look no further than our 21 day Islands of Discovery journey which traverses both the North and South Islands plus also includes the remarkable destinations of Kapiti Island and Stewart Island, renowned for their birdlife and flora and fauna.
Starting in the waterfront city of Auckland, your North Island journey encompasses the Coromandel, long revered by the locals as their 'secret' this is one of New Zealand's true hidden wonders, the cultural and geothermal heartland of Rotorua and the awe-inspiring Tongariro National Park for an epic adventure as you tackle the one day Tongariro Crossing. Your final days in the North Island are spent exploring the nature reserve of Kapiti Island, a haven for native rare birdlife including the little spotted kiwi.
After a short but scenic flight across the Cook Strait your South Island sojourn starts with the sunny climate and spectacular scenery of the Abel Tasman National Park, followed by the idyllic Marlborough Sounds and gentle rolling vineyards of Blenheim before moving down the east coast to Kaikoura for some truly magical pelagic experiences. The wildlife of the Otago Peninsula is showcased in spectacular fashion with a guided tour which includes the rare yellow-eyed penguins, New Zealand fur seals and royal albatross. After a few days exploring the remote, wild beauty of the Catlins it's on to Stewart Island for the ultimate birding and walking experiences. Your last days in New Zealand are spent amidst the rugged alpine splendour of Queenstown.
New Zealand is renowned for its hospitality and throughout this itinerary we have included some of our favourite places to stay. From charming bed and breakfasts, wilderness lodges to a couple of stylish retreats thrown in for good measure.