Gorillas of course! - Chimps - Colobus monkeys - L'Hoest's monkeys - Golden monkeys
1. Depart UK to Nairobi.
2. Arrive Nairobi and connect to Kigali. Afternoon at leisure at hotel.
3. Drive to Nyungwe visiting Butare Museum en route.
4. Morning colobus monkey tracking. Afternoon visit to tea plantation.
5. Morning chimp tracking. Afternoon from Cyangugu to Kibuye.
6. Drive from Kibuye to Ruhengeri via lake road towards Gisenyi.
7. Track Golden monkeys. Afternoon visit to twin lakes.
8. Gorilla tracking. Afternoon return to Kigali and city sightseeing.
9. Depart Kigali.
10. Arrive UK.
This suggested itinerary is just an example of possibilities available for trips to Rwanda. Please contact us for prices.
Any date to your requirements.
Central East Africa is a tremendous destination for those with an interest in primates and Rwanda is no exception. The mid-altitude forests of Nyungwe are home to a variety of old world primates including chimpanzees. There are thought to be around 500 in various groups in the forest and some are habituated for tracking by tourists.
Perhaps one of the highlights of this forest are the huge troupes of black and white colobus monkeys which are often seen around the reception centre in the heart of the forest. You should also see L'Hoest's monkey or mountain monkey as it is also known, and may also observe grey-cheeked mangabeys, red-tailed monkeys and silver monkeys as well as the ubiquitous vervet monkey and olive baboon.
Leaving the forest you will venture up Lake Kivu before very scenic drive from Kibuye through the hills to Ruhengeri. It is here that you will visit the habituated golden monkeys and track gorillas to end your tour with one of the world's incredible nature experiences.